In addition to a fantastic working environment and the opportunity to make a difference to the lives of Suffolk residents, we also offer an extensive reward package that combines pay, pension and a range of additional benefits.
- Performance-related annual pay progression, in addition to an annual cost-of-living pay increase
- Instant e-vouchers for some of the UK's top retailers, such as 8% off at M&S, 5% off at Tesco and 4% off at Sainsburys. Plus discounts at hundreds of other retailers and brands.
- Financial wellbeing support, including low-interest loans
- Access to the Suffolk Credit Union
- 20% off health and lifestyle assessments with Nuffield Health
- Access to a health cash plan to help cover health costs such as dental, optical, maternity/paternity, physio etc.
A relocation package and welcome payment is also available to some roles. This will be stated on our recruitment adverts where applicable.
Our salaries are advertised on each job advert but you can also view our salary information including our salary scales.
Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
The LGPS is for all SCC employees and it offers a pension scheme whereby both the employee and employer contribute towards the pension fund. The amount will vary, but generally, Suffolk County Council will contribute two-thirds of the scheme's costs and the employee contributes one third.
The LGPS also offers:
- A secure pension adjusted to take into account the cost of living
- Tax relief on contributions paid, and (after a two-year qualifying period) have peace of mind if you become seriously ill or are made redundant over the age of 55
- Peace of mind for your family with immediate life cover and a pension for your spouse, civil partner or eligible cohabiting partner, as well as eligible children
Visit the LGPS website for more information.
Staff can commute on public transport at half price on most routes, and for free on the following routes:
- Mulley's buses in Bury
- Park and Ride, Route 8/13 and free town centre shuttle in Ipswich
- Route 101 in Lowestoft
See suffolkonboard.com to plan your journey by bus or train (see maps and timetables).
Staff obtain the discount when purchasing a monthly or longer season ticket. Bulk purchases of daily tickets are also available on some routes.
We also provide free car parking for electric vehicles and electric vehicle charging points at our main offices.
These benefits are provided to encourage more sustainable commuting. They are paid for from staff car park income (most staff pay to park at our main offices).
We also offer:
The table below shows the annual leave entitlements for full-time employees working a five day week. This will be pro-rata for part-time workers.
Total Expressed in weeks
Grade 1-8 less than 3 years service
23 days (170.2 hours)
Grade 1-8 with 3-5 years service
25 days (185.0 hours)
Grade 1-8 with 5+ years service
28 days (207.2 hours)
JNC Grades; Senior Manager, AD, Director
28 days (207.2 hours)
We also offer:
- Up to 28 days annual leave entitlement, plus UK bank holidays and two paid volunteering days (see table above)
- A dedicated health and wellbeing portal
- A free and confidential employee assistance programme providing general information and advice to staff as well as access to counselling and legal advice
- An occupational sick pay scheme
- A strong commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Learning and development opportunities, including a range of work-based apprenticeships
- Flexible working options, with the right to request flexible working from your first day (check out our Health, Wellbeing and Worklife Balance pages for more information on our flexible working options and family-friendly policies)