Skip to main content

Apply for a temporary road closure or restriction

Apply for a temporary road closure or Temporary Traffic Regulation Order to close a road in Suffolk.

Changes to Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) or Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice (TTRN) fees for 2023/24. 

Suffolk County Council will be increasing the following fees from 3 April 2023:

  • The fee for TTRNs will increase from £700 in 2022/23 to £850 in 2023/24. 
  • The fee for TTRO extensions and/or amendments will increase from £350 in 2022/23 to £450 in 2023/24. 

There will be no increase to the TTRO fee which will remain at £1560 for 2023/24. 

In order to carry out works on Suffolk’s Highway Network, a works promoter may need to apply for a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) or Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice (TTRN) for one or more of the following:

  • to temporarily close a road
  • to Implement a temporary or suspend an existing one-way restriction, banned turn or prohibition of entry
  • to implement a temporary speed limit
  • to implement or suspend a temporary weight/width restriction; or
  • to Implement or suspend a temporary waiting restriction.

Note: This list is not exhaustive

If you are not sure whether you will require a temporary restriction to carry out works, please contact us at

Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO): You will need to apply for a TTRO for any planned works that will require a restriction. A TTRO may remain in force for up to 18 months.

Temporary Traffic Regulation Notice (TTRN): You will need to apply for a TTRN if a restriction is required immediately for urgent or emergency works such as repairs to a burst water main, gas leak or to restore loss of service to a customer.

Suffolk Police may also close roads for safety reasons.

Notice period

For any planned works that require a TTRO, we will require a minimum notice period of 3 months to process the application. However, Network Assurance may agree a shorter notice period in some circumstances.

For any works that require a TTRN, advanced notice to residents or businesses may not be possible due to the nature of the reactive urgent or emergency works.

Public Rights of Way

If you need to carry out works which may affect a Public Right of Way, you will need to contact Suffolk County Council’s Public Rights of Way Team, please visit Public rights of way and planning.


To close a road or implement a temporary restriction on the highway for an event please visit apply to close a road for an event.

Contact us

Find out how to contact Customer Services quickly and securely using live chat.

You can also find options to help yourself online, and phone us if needed.